Wednesday, December 31, 2008

The Ghost of Christmas Past

Each year I want a certain type of Christmas. As the Rolling Stones said it ... you can't always get what you want! Don't get me wrong, this was a good Christmas. I finally got to McAdenville to see the beautiful little town all lit up for the holidays. Two of my sons were home for all or part of the holidays and I did see my family and my wife's as well, and I became a Grandpa. But there are some things I miss from my childhood that I just can't ever seem to work in over such a short period ... because of work, I missed again the local presentation of Handel's Messiah. I did not see a single old movie, which I really love: Christmas in Connecticut, The Bishop's Wife, A Christmas Carol (the old B&W version), Holiday Affair, White Christmas not even Ralfie in A Christmas Story. My dad and I really liked the old movies. I missed the neighborhood carolers. So, somehow there is just not enough time and soon I am back to work. Unlike Europe, we ditch Christmas on Jan 1. Over, done with, decorations down, stores ready to move on. Seems like we could hold it until Epiphany. Well, maybe next year I can hit some of the things I missed; it gives me something to keep on working toward. One day, I want to have a snowy Christmas in Vermont or someplace like that. At a B&B. That would be nice.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We're all just going to have to pitch in to rent a house for Christmas up in the Northeast one year. Fly out on the 23rd, rent some 4WD cars, and just stay for a few days. Snow-capped pine trees, 4WD vehicles covered in a few inches of snow outside, a smoked chicken going on the deck, GARLIC mashed potatoes, a pot of hot tea or apple cider, and good company would be ideal. Forget about these pathetic Atlantic and Pacific jet stream winters with gray skies and 15 degree temperatures!