Monday, August 25, 2008

Uniforms and Youth

George Carlin said it best when he noted that uniforms in public schools reminded him of the Hitler Youth. This is flat out wrong. I had this opinion 5 years ago when they instituted uniforms in my son's middle school and my concern flared up again today when I heard on the radio that yet another North Carolina school has instituted uniforms. They use the same, tired arguements that it avoids distractions and minimizes differences in socioeconomic classes. I have never met a teenager who did not know who was richer or poorer than they were. Clothes are only a part of class status. One cannot cover up other traits that separate those who have from those who haven't.

This is just another case of government trampling on citizens rights. The citizens fund the public schools but are rarely given options to voice opinions about how these schools are run. Edicts show up and must be followed. What we are doing is demolishing the individualism that has made this a great country and society. It is but one step in that direction, but it is a big step and cannot easily be reversed.

3 comments:

Bryan said...

I have to agree that I don't think uniforms matter that much at the end of the day when it comes to lessening distractions. When it comes to individuals rights though, I'm not sure uniforms would be of any concern to me given the current state of person freedoms being taken away month by month. I actually more concerned about the way potests are put down in recent times. You can't even stage protests in the Washington anymore without getting arrested and being put on a watch-list.

Bryan said...

I meant protests, not potests, by the way. I'll always miss "r" for some reason...

Unknown said...

I have to agree with you. I just get steamed whenever I hear of another government action stepping on us. There really is a litany of recent examples of loss of rights and this is surely a small one, but it is an example and shows how we lose rights bit by bit.