Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Amsterdam Part 2

When I arrived in Amsterdam I had such fond memories of my first visit to see my son. I almost expected him to greet me at the airport again. My second day in the Netherlands I spent in Leiden, where he went to school for a semester. I took the opportunity to get some of the pictures that I had messed up on that trip by having an old battery in my camera that affected the light sensing meter.


I decided to take the self-guided walking tour of Leiden's old city. The folks at the travel bureau in Leiden were really nice about it. So I started out past the first windmill and passed the Mayflower Hotel where I stayed last time. A circuitous path through the old city was quite rewarding. There was a team sculling on one of the canals, Reubens' art studio (I think it was Reubens), another windmill, a couple of Bentley's, Peter's Church, John Robinson's alms house, the old fort, and more. I had lunch at the same place where my son and I had a beer the last time around.


I finished out the day at the museum that has all of the old science equipment. It was cool seeing 400 year old telescopes and microscopes, although I must admit that the preserved body parts were pretty creepy.

In the early afternoon I boarded the train for Antwerp. I love train travel in Europe. As is always the case though, some underling will try to slip into a first class seat with a second class ticket. The view out the window was great and I could follow my progress on my cell phone GPS.

I never tire of visiting Europe.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Aren't you glad you're company is on T-mobile rather than on some CDMA system like Vierizon? Of course it is very fitting that your company would subscribe with Deutsche Telecom!